If you are looking to purchase a mattress, an essential factor to consider is the size. There are five standard mattress sizes in Australia. These are single, single XL, king, double, and queen.
In addition, you can also come across mattress brands that offer you a super king and king single, although they are not that common.
This article will help you differentiate between mattress sizes, choosing what works best for you. Let’s get started!
What are the Common Mattress Sizes in Australia?
1. Single Size
The single size measures 92 cm x 187 cm, making it the smallest size in the market. This mattress size perfectly fits one person with average body size.
The following are some of the best uses of a single-sized mattress:
- For a small bedroom: The small nature of a single size allows you to save up on space as it can perfectly fit into a narrow or small room. Small rooms like studio apartments or guest rooms will do well with these mattress sizes.
- For a toddler’s room: Getting your toddler a small bed that fits a small size mattress ensures they have plenty of space to play in.
- For small sleepers: If you are a large sleeper, getting this type of mattress will be a huge inconvenience as it might be strenuous changing sides in your sleep. On the other hand, this is the perfect choice for a small sleeper.
2. Single XL
Single XL mattresses are the perfect choice for tall people and are mostly found in motels and school hostels. Unlike the previous size, this type of mattress is a bit bigger. It has a dimension of 92 cm x 203 cm, taking up 1.86 m² of your room space.
3. King Single Size
This is one of the most commonly used mattress sizes in Australia, with an area of about 2.15 m². It measures 106 cm x 203 cm. The king single perfectly fits a king-sized bed, creating an expansive sleeping area and leg space for people taller than 108 cm. It is way wider than the single mattress by 14 cm.
Consider getting this size for your growing teenager as they need to be comfortable due to their active sleeping styles. King single size also works great for single sleepers with extra weight, allowing them to change sleeping styles easily.
4. Double Size
The double is a two-person bed design that provides a more spacious sleeping surface than the traditional full-size bed. The Australian version of the double size requires less space than the American edition, which requires up to 2.56 m² of floor space.
The double is a commonly used mattress size for teens, small rooms, or apartments with limited space. It might not be the best choice for you if you’re over 180 cm tall or if your partner likes to sleep on their side or stomach.
5. Queen Size
In the 1960s, the queen mattress was launched in the US and quickly became famous internationally. It remains one of the most popular mattresses in Australia.
For example, in 2016, it was found that 50% of sales were made in the New Zealand market. The Bedroom Report from 2017 also concluded that 59% of people prefer using a queen-sized bed compared to other sizes.
The queen-sized mattress is 151 cm x 201 cm, providing plenty of space for two adults. It is 3m² in total. Since queen sizes are the most popular among Australians, they are the most commonly sold mattresses, making them pretty affordable. These factors make this type of mattress dominate most master bedrooms in Australia.
6. King Size Mattress
The king-size is the largest mattress size in Australia. It measures 183 cm x 203 cm and can take up 3.71 m² of your floor space, which is quite a lot if you are tight on space. The mattress is often used as a guest bed or for sleepovers.
People who might need these types of mattresses include:
- Couples with extra average weight: The large surface area of a king mattress makes it easier to change positions throughout the night while ensuring utmost comfort.
- Active sleepers: If you are not a fan of being kicked in the ribs or your partner enjoys the starfish position, a king-sized mattress could be just what you need to get a good night’s sleep.
- People with kids and pets: A king-sized mattress is perfect for a growing family or for those who want to allow their kids or pets on the bed. This mattress has enough space for you and your family’s comfort.
7. Super King Size
The last mattress size you would usually find in any Australian store near you is the super king-size, measuring 203 cm x 203 cm. It’s a bit wider than the regular king size, so it’ll be best to have plenty of space in your bedroom since this mattress covers up to 4.12 m² of room space.
There’s not much difference between king and super king mattresses. If you want more space or you’re planning to allow animals and children to sleep on your bed, you might like the idea of a larger mattress.